Substantive Change: Added reference to FMCSA safety requirements for training, drug & alcohol testing and preventative maintenance.
Reduce collection vehicle accidents and worker injuries.
Local Government and Industry Requirements:
Implement an ongoing safety and equipment usage training program
. that demonstrates compliance with all Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) Vehicle and Driver safety requirements, including applicable drug and alcohol testing.
Disconnect safety incentive programs from “accident-free” periods.
Conduct an OSHA-Level audit by a qualified auditor.
Qualified auditors include:
- Federal or State OSHA inspector;
- A Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) certified insurance inspector;
- A union CIH or equivalent safety official
Full abatement of all OSHA incidents reported
Collection vehicle accident prevention:
- Hold pre-dispatch safety meetings “Safety tailgates” and pre-trip safety checklist review
- Paid shift hours and schedules should accommodate these safety reviews.
- Develop and implement a policy on distracted driving, including limitation on Smartphone or other handheld devices for drivers.
- Utilize vehicle monitoring devices to analyze Safety Leading Indicators
- The first offense shall result in training, unless there was extreme disregard for the law and taught safety practices. The second offense shall result in discipline.
- No employee driver shall be discharged if such discharge is based solely upon information received from GPS, telematics, or any successor system that similarly tracks or surveils a driver’s movements unless he/she engages in dishonesty (any intentional act or omission by an employee where he/she intends to defraud the Company) or extreme disregard for the law or safety practices, as set by the employee led safety committees.
- Truck maintenance requirements as set forth in ANSI Z245.
- Equip trucks with side-guards to prevent pedestrian/bicyclist run overs.
- Ensure that pick-up occurs on the side of the street with the prevailing flow of traffic for the lane.
- No vehicle or personnel crosses traffic to pick up waste.
- Automated arms to reduce injuries
- Install lighting and strobes; one standard wheeled tote of limited size