WGP Credit 4: Litter Prevention and Reduction Infrastructure (1 point)
o Implement a program that encourages the adoption of durable products such as reusable bags and cups and disincentivizes single-use alternatives or eliminating disposable, single-use packaging at government sponsored community events.
o Maintain a sufficient number of receptacles in public areas including walkways, parks, and other public places.
▪ Receptacles should be both visible and have effective signage.
▪ Side by side receptacles for both recycling and trash.
▪ Receptacles must have openings that contain waste without impeding the introduction of new material (i.e. push flaps, tops).
o Consistent and reliable servicing of receptacles.
▪ A schedule is in place to appropriately empty receptacles nearing capacity.
▪ Limit overflow events to zero (0) per year.
o Demonstrate rapid cleanup of illegal dumping within 72 hours of being notified of the illegal dumping.
o Demonstrate increased enforcement and fines for littering and illegal dumping.
o Add signage stating no liter or dumping.